Auditions for the 2020 Lone Star Storytellers are open. Audition information, FAQs, and tips & tricks are below.
Watch one of our Lone Star Storytellers in action!
Lone Star Storytellers: The What, Who, How, and Why
What will Lone Star Storytellers do?
Lone Star Storytellers (LSS) (ages 9-18) learn, craft, and perform a five-minute spoken story. They perform at events throughout Frisco, culminating in performances at the Lone Star Storytelling Festival on Oct. 15-16, 2020. LSS share the stage with professional storytellers and may be selected to perform for thousands of students during FISD Field Trips to Comerica Center. Selected performers may perform their audition stories or may be asked to select and develop a new story.
What are the benefits to becoming a Lone Star Storyteller?
• Develop public speaking skills and build confidence.
• Become part of a professional storytelling troupe and contribute to the Frisco arts community.
• Showcase your talent through performances in the Frisco community.
What is the program curriculum for students?
• Attend orientation on Wednesday, August 5 at 4:00pm or 7:00pm with a guardian.
• Complete at least seven free, one-hour coaching sessions led by professionals from the library and Frisco community.
• Perform at one of the community concerts.
• Perform before family and friends at dress rehearsal Monday, October 12 at 6:30pm.
• May be selected to perform at FISD Field Trip Day or at the Lone Star Storytelling Festival Thursday-Friday, October 15-16.
How are Lone Star Storytellers selected?
Auditions will be judged by a panel of storytelling professionals assembled by the Frisco Public Library.
What needs to be on the audition DVD or YouTube performance?
• Record the student telling a memorized story of his or her choice – no reading from books or scripts, please.
• The audition story should be no more than five minutes long and recorded indoors.
•The audition story must be a story that has been published in some format. It may not be a self-written story.
• The student should state their full name and the name of the story at the beginning of the audition.
• Students may upload their audition and email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I submit an audition?
• Download the Lone Star Storyteller Audition form below.
• Submit both the audition video and a completed audition application form to email@example.com between March 2 and May 1, 2020.
What is the audition deadline? When will I know results?
Audition deadline is May 1, 2020 at 6:00pm. All auditionees will be contacted via email by May 29, 2020.
Questions? Contact Kayla Wardell: firstname.lastname@example.org